Thursday, December 06, 2007

A literary conundrum - making 5 out of 27

How do you decide between twenty seven interview candidates who, on paper, all appear to have the same level of academic attainment and potential, when you only have five vacancies to fill? That was the dilemma facing the tutors for English at the College that I visited.

The College concerned was making every effort to make sure that candidates were appropriately briefed and prepared. Upon arriving at the porters' lodge I was handed a pack telling me about the interview times, accommodation, meals, entertainments planned for the period, a list of all of the 29 student runners names and their subject disciplines, a map (showing all of the rooms in the colleges being used for interviews, as well as such key locations as the TV room, library, and laundry) and a set of guidelines, including the reminder that candidates under the age of 18 shouldn't purchase alcohol (illegality not being viewed as a positive characteristic), and those 18 and over also encouraged to refrain on the basis that it could affect interview performance.

This level of care and attention to detail followed through into the interviews. As well as a briefing that I had been sent in advance, I had also been sent a breakdown of the interview programme. The College interviewed all twenty 27 twice - the first interview was a general discussion to assess the candidates on their love of literature, commitment to the subject discipline, ability to think clearly about texts, and discuss new concepts and ideas. All of the candidates had been asked to provide the interviewers with a list of books and authors they wished to discuss. The second interview required the candidate to analyse and discuss a piece of poetry that they would receive an hour in advance - each candidate was given an individual text to assess, that had been selected in response to their comments on their personal statement and in their reference.

I was sitting in to observe the second interviews. The candidates had received a very broad range of poems, ranging from a Shakespearean sonnet, through a Thomas Hardy poem (which took me back to my A-level English course), AE Houseman, Louis MacNeice, GM Hopkins, to Craig Raine. In all cases the candidates were initially asked to read the poems aloud, so that the interviewers could make sure they had comprehended the sense of the piece - the high point for me was the applicant who threw themselves dramatically into the part of an Irish Navvy, accent and all. The candidate's then had the opportunity to confer with the interviewers on any vocabulary they were unfamiliar with - one or two obviously were concerned at demonstrating a lack of knowledge, but the interviewers were adept at making sure the candidate had fully understood the piece, asking them to explain particular words or phrases. Any lack of understanding at this point was not a mark against them, and one candidate had made the most of the preparatory hour by looking up any words he was not sure of in a dictionary!

The interviewers then took it in turns to go line by line through the piece with the candidate, focusing on the meaning, the form and grammatical structure. Those I observed were all confident in their ability to analyse the content and express their views, and were prepared to engage in debate with the interviewers over the sense and meaning of the texts. As someone who has studied English, it was a particularly stimulating and invigorating three hours - in all of the interviews I found myself looking at the poems in a new light from my initial reading, and it was clear that the candidates all felt at the end of the process that they had gained a new perspective on the work under discussion.

At the end of the interview the candidates all had a chance to ask any questions that they themselves had - two main themes emerged; the first focusing on the opportunity to study Course II (Old and Middle English language and literature) in years two and three of the degree, the second on how the interviewers had selected the poems that were under discussion.

The seven interviews I observed were the last of the 27 - as I left the College the four tutors were convening to discuss their assessments. I left them to what seemed to be an unenviable task, particularly if the previous 20 candidates had demonstrated the same engagement and interest in English that I had just observed. Even with the English test results, essays, personal statements, references and interview reports I suspect they were in for a long night before they had their final list of five.

26 comments:

pest control said...

I like your blog,and also like the article,and thank you for provide me so much information :))

Sports Coaching Courses said...

The other day I was surprised to learn that ‘literary’ novels rarely achieve substantial sales.I was surprised because one always hears so much about all these colourful book awards that one naturally assumes that sales are up there in the bookish stratosphere. Not so, most (although of course not all) do about 1-2,000 copies if that I’m told although naturallyI could be wrong.Do please correct me should this indeed be the case, however I have also learnt that both publishers and indeed authors can sometimes be a wee bit reticent where actual confirmed sales are concerned, Nielsen’s notwithstanding.

Marketing Course Brisbane said...

There are a lot of factors to consider. Is the younger one the type that interviews well but goes out and parties all night and comes in hung over? If so, you will spend a lot of money on redoes and lost time. Is he the type that likes to take a lot of time off to go on extended weekend hunting and fishing trips, or worse yet, calls in sick to do them? If not, then he may be the one, because you only have to train him, while the older one may need to be untrained and then retrained. Is the younger one mature enough to perform simple unsupervised activities while you have to step out for any reason?

maldives tour said...

This blog is a good one! Its original, thanks for the info! Is there a way I can tell my people about this post.

water damage altadena said...

Just be certain that you just carry on to form a conversation that hopefully will make everyone discuss more. You actually need to be vigilant at anything you said or maybe you could be placed into a situation where not one person are likely to respond.

custom term paper writers said...

What a great post! thank you for sharing! i liked it very much)

affordable seo said...

Great blog article about this topic, I have been lately in your blog once or twice now. I just wanted to say my thanks for the information provided here.

abdominal exercise equipment said...

I enjoy reading your blog, and it is relevant to the daily life of the people now. I am looking forward to read more thoughts and ideas here in your site

write research papers said...

Hello my friend! I want to say that this article is awesome, nice written and include almost all vital info. I would like to see more posts like this.

sofa said...

Hello Everyone
"A literary conundrum - making 5 out of 27"
This content is so well written that I think that at least I should show my appreciation!

Business Broadband Providers said...

Nice indeed and developing my interest though.
business broadband providers

dissertation proposal said...

Thank you for sharing this information, The information was very helpful and saved a lot of my time, Thank you for providing this information

dissertation Samples said...

I am just catching up but holy crapoly, that sounds like an awesome tailgate! I have to say - they aren't all that amazing. Deep fried Prime Rib? My god. Thank you for providing this information.

Online Clothes Shopping in Australia said...

I like your powerful views on this subject. I can tell you have a attention for writing. Your way of writing is both useful and highly effective here.cheap online clothes shopping Australia

angrybirdonline said...

A riddle is a charade in which the parcels don't appear to stroke besides the answer defies rationale. During lore riddle, imagine of the allied argument plight. Think, a jam is a country of hesitation whereas a election necessity be made, still where the option is nay best essay in Boston obvious. During persons locate themselves in a pickle, they acquire a enigma. The beginning of the tidings mystery is strange, so steady that is a puzzle.

Alex said...

I have sensitive skin, so plz give some tips for
research paper writing protecting my face form sun-rays.

Anonymous said...

I would personally say that it's perfect writing-college-essay.com for everyone wants to know about it.

Anonymous said...

You have a great weblog and I like your style of writing about this stuff.http://englishessaywriter.com/andtwast cellular Keep up the good work!

Anonymous said...

Nice effort, dissertationhelpservice.co.uk very informative, this will help me to complete my task. Thanks for share it keep it up.

Pacific said...

Hi! I'm sure your article will be helpful to many readers. Besides, students, who will need help with writing assignments, can always address essay writing company.

Sonya Apple said...

Really this site is awfully cooperative for all concerning this :)
Buy essay paper.

Amy Pearson said...

Your blog is always extremely informative. I use a lot of your tips while writing my essay papers.

Natalie said...

Great essay! Thanks!

alexxlexx said...

I'm so happy to have discovered this website! I also like buying essay from best writing service

perk son said...

Don't use that I made it up. Actually I saw it on a TV show and am probably misquoting it. Then use your declarative statement right after the attention grabber.

tea for weight loss

Margarita Alexander said...

I really liked your blog! express-essays.com helped me alot. Awesome. Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!