Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Return of the Oxblogster (for two weeks)

After a year of inactivity on the blog, and with the interview period upon us again at Oxford, it seemed appropriate to reactivate the Oxblogster account, and once again provide some insights into the selection process. Over the next two weeks, I will be observing a number of subject interviews, including law, medicine, theology,English literature, and that almost unique of Oxford combinations, PPP (Psychology, Philosophy and Physiology), as well as providing some more general musings about the admissions process.

To start with, I would like to draw your attention to a couple of other recent developments within Oxford admissions information. The first is the series of podcasts, which you can access at www.admissions.ox.ac.uk/podcasts The podcasts cover all sorts of areas relating to undergraduate admissions; of particular note are the discussions about the interviews for medicine, law, biological sciences and history, conducted with tutors.

The other web-based resource is the site developed by Oxford University Students Union (OUSU) which includes all sorts of material about admissions from the perspective of current students. In particular I would want to draw your attention to the case-studies on interviews written by some of Oxford's current undergraduates. The OUSU admissions site can be found at www.ousu.org/prospective-students.

Finally for today, one of the questions that I am sometimes asked is "Why can't an applicant apply for more than one subject at Oxford?" The answer, which should become clear as the blogs mount up, is that the tutors at Oxford are focusing on the applicant's engagement, enthusiasm and potential for success in their subject, not the applicant's wish to study at Oxford. If an applicant applies for two or even three individual subjects, it doesn't give a convincing impression that they have a genuine and focused commitment to the subject discipline.

11 comments:

Eshana said...

Looking forward to the new posts! Must say, as a future interviewe, that this is all very nice and helpful I loved the podcasts!

Bachelor of Applied Fitness said...

Mike Nicholson you really are amazing! I honestly learn a lot of new thing from your blog...Keep posting and thank you for sharing.

Events Management Courses said...

English literature is one of my favorite. I love reading books with amazing stories of love and fantasy. It relaxes me physically and mentally.

Coffee Cup said...

Glad to hear your blog is active again and the sharing of information is also back on track. Hoping this will last longer and that we will reading more post.

SMSF Investment Strategy said...

Try a practice interview for legal jobs, answering typical questions and also getting tips on how you should answer. There are also other questions students have been asked at law interviews. That what my friend Efren doing the whole week now. Kinda stressful but it's worthy.

vacation to maldives said...

I will recommend my friends to read this.I will bookmark your blog and have my children check up here often

custom writing essays said...

Wow... Thanks.. I'm at the first time on your blog! And I like it! Thanks for sharing info. Keep up the good work.

Sonderposten said...

I'm happy I found this blog! From time to time students want to cognitive the keys of productive literary essays composing. Your first-class knowledge about this good post can become a proper basis for such people. Thanks.

Restposten said...

I was very pleased to find this site. I wanted to thank you for this unique read. I definitely savoured all bits and pieces of it including all the comments and I have added you to my bookmark list to check out new articles you post.

Russin said...

I am glad you're back after a year of inactivity on the blog.

Keep alive now

Farheen Xehra said...

Yeah..This the matter which I am finding & now I caught! This is really exciting. Grand Theft Auto IV | Download Sonic 3 | Download Lord Of The Rings War In The North | Download Ridge Racer Unbounded | Download Rise Of Nations